Thursday, November 11, 2010

Girls Camp

Well I couldn't post about summer and not have anything about girls camp since it did take up about 2/3 of my summer. I mentioned earlier in the year I was called as the ward camp director. I never realized how much work went in to four days. A couple of months before camp a new Young Women's presidency was put in. Which none of them had really been to girls camp before....so they were just as inexperienced as I was. Luckily I had Craig, who was awesome, and came up to camp and helped us set up and showed us how to use the camp stoves. He made daily trips to bring me things that we forgot....or a large diet coke.
The stake had challenged all of the girls and the leaders to complete the value virtue before camp. This included reading the Book of Mormon. On the first night up at camp those that completed this challenge received a necklace. I was so proud of how many of the girls were able to complete this challenge.

Anna completed the challenge. She was a big help keeping me motivated because we kept comparing to see who was ahead in our reading. I think she finished a day before me.


It was fun to be up at camp with Anna....I am not sure she always felt the same way but she was a huge help to me.

With 28 girls we only had 6 leader going up for the whole time. At the last minute 2 of our leaders weren't able to come....luckily my awesome friend Liz...(who was dying to come,) Was able to come up and stay the whole time. It was kind of funny because 2 days before camp I found out that one of the leaders was only going to be able to come for one night. So I was talking to Liz and told her that if I lost another leader I was going to call her. So the night before we left another of the Leaders got really sick and wasn't able to come. I immediately called Liz and asked her if she remembered our conversation from the night before? All she said was "Really" I said yes that I needed her to go. I also have to say thank you to her husband who found out at 10pm that his wife was leaving for the week the next morning at 7am. All I can say is I couldn't have done it with out her!


My friend Alison getting ready to perform her ganster rap. I was sorry I missed it...we had a little medical emergency with one of the girls so I was up at camp...but I heard it was great.



This is Anna and Sam performing their part in our skit....which was awesome.

The gang.



All of the awesome leaders. I couldn't have done this with out them. Kirsten was my assistant and probably the most creative person I know. She had some of the cutest crafts I have ever seen made at camp. Plus the young women's presidency which were just thrown into camp with someone who had no idea what she was doing.



Anna singing in the choir for the fireside. I love this picture of Anna. She is so amazing. It was very emotional for me to hear her singing in the fireside. She has turned into a beautiful, confident and strong young women that has a strong relationship with her heavenly father. You can see it in her face and hear it in her testimony. Overall it was an awesome experience. The girls are amazing. I learned alot about myself and about the girls. Next year I know what to expect so there are somethings that will go a little smoother.....but we will have 10 more girls. I do feel like I accomplished my main purpose which was to provide the girls the opportunity to feel our Heavenly Father's love for each of them.
And that is what I hope each of the girls remember.



2 comments:

Lizard said...

I so appreciate you and your friendship. I needed that camp trip to fill my bucket. And even if I never get to go again I am ok now :) Thanks for all you do!

robin said...

Congratulations on surviving girls camp! I can't believe how old Anna looks (and by old I of course mean mature). Hope you also survived Christmas and that you are enjoying a slower January with less to do. I'm still dreaming of the day when I won't be running around like a chicken with my head cut off (does that day ever arrive?) :)